Whether we like it or not, as we get older, we tend to have more health problems. Nowadays, it has become nearly impossible not to have any health problems even though we try so hard to exercise more often or eat healthier food.
That's why preventive health screenings are so important. Early detection of a major health problem will also help you avoid huge costs later on.
Health screenings you need if you are over the age of 50
- Colorectal cancer - Cancer of the colon is preventable and it can be treated if it's detected early. People over the age of 50 represent a risk group, so they should definitely be tested. In the United States, colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths for both men and women. It's not worth taking a huge life-threatening risk by not doing a simple test.
- Breast cancer - Every single woman shouldn't skip these health screenings under no circumstances. In the United States, it's the second leading cause of cancer death for women. Starting with the age of 40, women should have a breast exam every year, and with the age of 50, they should get a mammography every two years. Men rarely get breast cancer, but they should do a screening as well.
- Diabetes - Diabetes is an extremely dangerous disease, especially if you don't know you have it. There are some high risk factors for developing diabetes, such as high blood pressure, being overweight, high cholesterol, not being physically active or having someone in your family with diabetes. Even if you do not present any of the factors mentioned above, you should get a screening anyway.
- Cholesterol - By controlling your cholesterol levels, you will also add more years to your life. It is well-known that cholesterol is one of the leading factors for heart disease, high blood pressure and kidney problems. It's important to get tested once you get older because it will help you avoid other diseases as well and you will be healthier for a longer period.
- Osteoporosis - After menopause, most women can experience fractures more often. After the age of 50, our bone density starts to decrease, so it's important to get an osteoporosis screening because it will allow you to take measures if you have any problems.
- Thyroid dysfunction - Millions of people in the world have some sort of thyroid disease and the majority of them just don't know it. It's recommended to screen for thyroid dysfunction because the symptoms are too vague. Also, if it's left untreated, it can lead to other health problems, such as heart disease.
- Prostate cancer - This type of cancer is the most common cancer diagnosis for men. This statistics should worry most of you men out there and make you take action. This screening can save your life. Even if you don't have any known risk factors, it's better to take precautions.
Health is your best asset
Preventive health screenings are the key to a healthy life, even after you turn 50. Retirement is just around the corner, so why not enjoy your free time during retirement by feeling good?
Nevertheless, you shouldn't forget about your finances and about how much retirement is going to cost you (including the health plan).
If you want to find out how your personalized retirement plan would look like, just fill in this retirement needs analysis and we will provide a detailed analysis of how much money you'll need during retirement to live a happy life.